Updated: Nov 20, 2018
I see you, girl. Its midnight, and you have an early work meeting but you're still up cruising Pinterest in your flannel jammies, eating leftover donuts, looking at that big, beautiful boho bridal bouquet, thinking. "Yeah. I could do this. How hard can it be?"
I know you, because I once was you, about 3 years ago, when a friend asked me to do her wedding flowers on a shoestring budget. Back when I had no training, no business cards, and no experience.
The truth is, I learned a lot about floral design from Pinterest, and YouTube
(and by low- key-cyber-stalking famous designers). The truth is, you could learn to do this too, given enough time and energy, and coffee. But the real question is, do you really WANT to DIY your wedding flowers?
Here is my mostly funny, slightly scary, true-life story about why you may want to leave this job to a professional wedding florist.
1. You will probably miss your rehearsal dinner because making a wedding bouquet takes WAY more time and practice than getting a bunch of tipsy groomsmen to walk down the aisle and stand still under an arbor.
2. You will smell like eucalyptus until you get back from your honeymoon. The sap under your fingernails will be there for the rest of your life.
3. Your friends won't help as much as you think. They will make one cute little boutonniere, drink all of your box wine, and then make fun of you while you hot glue stuff to the carpet .
4. On the night before your wedding you will not sleep at all, because you will have to check the flowers ONE MORE TIME. At 2:00 AM there is about an 80% chance you will accidentally leave the refrigerator door open resulting in sweaty corsages and boutonnieres that smell like old lunch meat.
5. You will be on your feet for at least 48 hours. You will be hauling buckets like a milk maid and your feet are going to swell so much that you might as well return those crystal encrusted Jimmy Choos -- Because you, Girl, are wearing Crocs to this party.
6. Once the word gets out that you are doing your own flowers, your crafty aunt ( not the fabulous artistic one, but the one who makes purses out of duct tape) is going to show up with a bunch of plastic flowers from the Stuffmart. She will arrive at the venue while you are still trying to book an emergency appointment with someone, anyone, who can make your hands look like you don't dig ditches for a living.
7. Aunt Crafty, will put her tacky crap everywhere-- even all up in the beautiful arrangements that YOU stayed up all night making. She will bring her church friends and then let them take the fall for her when you COMPLETELY LOSE IT in front of Jesus and your new in laws.
8. You are not going to save enough money to make it worth the stress and missed time with your family and friends. I know you think that you can just pop into the grocery store two days before your wedding and buy buckets of Coral Charm peonies and David Austen garden roses for a dollar a stem, but you cant. You just can't. I dont care what you read on Pinterest. This isn't even a thing. Not even Martha Stewart can make this happen.
9. A professional wedding florist spends weeks or even months planning, researching, purchasing and prepping for your day. We do the hard things so that your can be fully- present at your wedding. Most of these situations are things a pro struggles with all the time too. The only difference is that we stopped caring about what our hands look like a long time ago. Also we have absolutely no problem telling Auntie to get that crap up outa' here!
10. At some point, you will realize that you are in over your head, but by then, all the fabulous, funny encouraging florists you follow on Instagram will be booked on your date. Trust me. Give us a call now while we still have plenty of availability. We love this crazy job and we make wedding flowers fun and super easy. So put down that donut, and get started on a real plan to make all your wedding flower dreams come true.